Malouf Manly Pharmacy
COLD, FLU & ALLERGIES
Early signs of a cold or flu, allergy or hayfever? Our staff at Malouf Manly Pharmacy are well versed in assessing your symptoms in regard to nasal discharge, the length of your symptoms, the timing of your symptoms or whether you are carrying a fever to determine whether you have an allergy flare, start of a common cold or possible flu.
A wide range of both natural and medicinal remedies are at hand to assist you in your recovery to better health.
Colds are contagious infections of the upper airways most often caused by a virus. Colds are very common in young children, with most suffering around 10 colds in their first two years of life.
There are over 100 different types of virus responsible for the common Cold. Colds are spread through the air, or by coming into contact with the nose, mouth or throat secretions of an infected person. In babies most Colds occur when the baby is touched by someone who has not washed their hands. Exposure to cold temperatures does not in itself cause the common Cold. The common Cold is annoying to a baby but usually clears up without any serious complications. Breastfeeding usually offers protection against the Cold in the first couple of months.
Signs and Symptoms
- Mild, persistent cough.
- Loss of appetite, refusing breast or bottle feeds.
- Runny nose and sneezing.
- Fever is NOT usually associated with the common Cold. Presence of a fever is more likely to be related to influenza or another bacterial infection. Contact your Doctor if your baby develops a fever.
- If your baby is less than 3 months old, or the Cold persists for longer than 1 week, call your Doctor.
- Antibiotics are not used as these types of drugs are not effective against viral infections.
- If a fever develops, call your Doctor.
- If you are breastfeeding, continue as normal.
- Disinfect all toys and household surfaces daily.
- Anyone coming into contact with the baby should wash their hands thoroughly with warm water and soap.
- People with Colds should be kept away from the baby until their symptoms have gone.
- Do not give any medications to a baby unless your Doctor or Pharmacist has recommended them.
- Saline nose drops may make it easier for your baby to breathe, especially during feeding.
- A steam humidifier can keep the airways moist and reduce secretions.
Are you ready for your Flu Shot?
Annual immunisation against the latest version of the flu is strongly recommended for people in at-risk groups such as older people, pregnant women and those who work or live with people in at-risk groups. Serious side effects or allergic reactions to the vaccine are rare. If you are concerned about your reaction or your child’s reaction to any vaccine, see your doctor immediately.
Influenza viruses change every year because the influenza virus has a unique ability to change its surface structure. This means that even if you had the flu or an immunisation one year, your body’s immune system might be unable to fight the changed version of the virus that will be circulating the following year.
The influenza vaccine cannot give you a dose of flu because it does not contain live virus. Some people may still contract the flu because the vaccine may not always protect against all strains of the influenza virus circulating in the community.
Annual seasonal influenza vaccination is recommended for any person aged 6 months and over who wishes to reduce the likelihood of becoming ill with influenza.
A flu vaccination is still your best defence against the flu. Malouf Manly Pharmacy is proud stockist of the flu vaccine. If you have not yet had your flu vaccination please speak to your health professional about receiving a flu vaccination.
Hayfever & Allergies
It can be difficult to distinguish between an allergy flare up and the start of a common cold. This is because they may share several symptoms, such as a runny nose and sneezing.
Apart from the cold-like symptoms themselves, hayfever may make you feel tired and run down due to disturbed sleep. When it comes to seasonal and chronic allergies, symptoms such as watery eyes, itchiness, a runny nose, sneezing may all impact on your well being.
The above Cold & flu products are all available at these fantastic prices until the 30 June 2020 or until stocks last.